Thursday, August 6, 2009

Surrounded By Lions

Loyal, and sometimes rather traditional, Leos are, after all, a fixed sign. They'll hold on to situations and people for a very long time before they give up. There is an unmistakable idealism to Leo's view of the world and the people in it. Often, Leos have a very noble inner code that they answer to. Although on the surface, Leos appear rather confident, they can actually be some of the most humble souls around. They are the first to blame themselves when something goes wrong. Once again, it's the Leonine self-importance at work, and this characteristic works in unexpected ways. Instead of being the conceited, self-absorbed show-offs of reputation, they are usually very self-aware, self-conscious, and, yes, even humble. ~Cafe Astrology.com

Lions: I am surrounded by them. And, even my own astrological chart, though I was born in Cancer, by most aspects, I present myself to the world as a Leo. The stars don't lie. Funny, I see myself very much with the traits of a true Cancerian, but what most perceive me to be is a fiery Leo.

I am married to a Leo- very brave, loyal, protective, generous. I call him, My Lion. Figuratively speaking, on occasion he can be all paws swiping at you and roaring. Best to step away and be still! Passing quickly, like a cloud burst on dry plains, he's back to contentedly basking in the sun and lovingly sharing his domain. Only those closest to him know that he can be shy and a bit retiring. A Leo works hard to hide the fact that they have their feelings hurt easily. That's not how they show themselves to the world. Like any great cat, they go off in solitude to lick their wounds. And, they only close their watchful eyes when they feel safe.

Melissa, Michael & Evan

Michael is an excellent provider for his pride. And family is everything to him; making sure his children are feeling safe and successfully confident is a trademark of the Leo father.

Even one of my dogs is actually a Lion! I know, how crazy?!

Rory

Rory who is quite docile, silly, and loving by nature, doesn't exhibit his Leo tendencies unless he is on his leash and encounters another dog. Wow, then you can really see that king of the beasts behavior in action! Oh, wait, the whole Lion of Scotland thing going on! I get it now!

Some of my closest friends are Lions...

Carole & Al

Like Al, who you see here with Carole, his wife and one of my dearest friends. Al is a retired college professor. He's written two books both published! He has exuberantly and precisely taught countless hundreds about Sociology. Al is fascinating to talk with for hours about everything. He's fun loving. Well traveled. Debonair. Witty. Laughs richly. Loves deeply. He's simply one of those fabulous Human Beings who makes you feel completely loved and liked.


Leo

And, this Lion, will soon mark his 80th season living on the savannah of Hanover. He's father to eight children and blessed to have seven of them still with him. He's learned to successfully balance the magic of being a parent and a good friend to his adult children. He's in a struggle, now, for his own survival and we adore him. Admire him even more. If love, alone, could ever save a person's life, he would live forever.

Carroll

This is My Lion's father, Carroll, or as his many friends call him- C.F. Dad has countless stories that he tells so well. His life is rich and colorful. He was a traveling sales man for years. And, he was Hanover Shoe's first Distribution and Warehouse Manager. In his 25 years with the company, he put systems in place that made it operate smoothly and efficiently. Even now as a division of Clark Shoes, his innovations are still making a difference.

He's mellowed as he's grown older and wiser. His love has taken on the tawny hue of depth and life experience. His children love, respect and even better, like him. What more can a man ask as a legacy than to be recalled with love and fondness by his children and friends?

No matter how long it's been since some Lions prowled the earth...

Jimmy

...their paw print is indelibly pressed on the spirit. Leos like my father. Oh, he was the epitome of the celestial Lion! Hard to live with at times because he had such a lofty notion of himself, combined with an iron will, and a strong sense of his importance. His very high expectations of himself and me could be truly maddening at times. His challenge to consistently do the best possible sometimes made me weary.

But, there is so much more to this Leo- His charm and sense of humor. The beauty of his bearing and ability to see correctly into another's soul. His generosity of being. His courtly demeanor. His ferocious loyalty. His tenacious curiosity about life and quest for knowledge. His regal view of the inherent goodness of Human Kind. His desire to make a profound contribution to mankind. His capacity to love completely and guide unerringly...

Those are the qualities I most admire about my father. Those qualities are what I recall easily. And those are what I strive to put forward to the world.

So, please over look the occasional roar; most likely it's an attempt to hide wounded feelings. Don't take a growl for more than a gentle reminder than that I'm feeling a bit vulnerable. And, if I knock you flat at times, remember that I'm simply a big cat who can be very exuberant in my desire to be part of your life.

Happiest of birthdays to all of the Leo friends and family who make my life so rich and warm. I wish you many, many happy returns of your day.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly aka She Who Dwells With Lions

16 comments:

Toni said...

oh yea. My Lovely Mother is a Leo; so is Double BB. Everything you say, everything. Lovely lionesque adjectives and metaphors in this writing ... yum. C.F. is someone I wish I could meet, listen to, hug. Jimmy, too, this photo, this smile? beckons.

and how do you know all that about being so 'Leo' when our birthdays are the same? Did you have your chart done or something? That intrigues me GYNORMOUSLY!!!

jkc said...

Really, really liked this post, Holly. Your descriptions of the Leos who surround you were quite wonderful!

Anonymous said...

*All Smiles*

I am indeed a Leo and that description literally made me step back from my laptop. :o)
It was so on point til it's spooky!
My puppy son is also a Leo and I love him dearly.

Happy Birthday To The Leos in Your Life Holly!!

Librarian Lee said...

That was just wonderful! Thank you for those words - I loved hearing about your loved ones!

Big Pissy said...

That really was wonderful.

The descriptions of your loved ones was so special. :)

Boozy Tooth said...

Oh Holly, what a beautiful post. So full of imagery and lovely words. Not to mention what an awesome tribute to the majestic Leos in your life. Well done!

sema said...

Hi Holly,
Beautiful post.It was nice reading about the wonderful people who are part of your life.They must be as proud of you as you are about them.
A big thank you for inspiring me.your holly lily has made me create a line of products with that beautiful painting.you can see it here
http://www.zazzle.com/semas87/gifts?cg=196455627214009454
I would love to hear your comments on them
blessings
sema

Cindy said...

Everytime I read your posts I wish I could write like you. It was a beautiful tribute to all the Leo. You are truly a wonderful person Holly.

Lisa said...

How lovely. So much love in the way you see the world and those around you.

I'm glad to see you here, I was worried about your father-in-law, but if you are posting, that means he is still fighting the good fight.

Now, how funny that you are so drawn, and draw to you, so many Leos! Starting even with your beloved dad. Well, you are The Queen, so shouldn't kings be fitting company?

Alison said...

That made great reading. I realised that I didn't know much about Leos at all prior to this. I didn't really know any - none in my immediate family. (Until a couple of days ago that is!) So thanks again from a creative musical and sensitive Pisces! Lol.

xxx said...

Ah the beautiful crab takes a side step to honour the lions :-)

Magnificent lions in your neck of the woods Holly.... mostly because you recognise all their attributes.
You being a sensitive Cancerian is able to do so ... even if you do have a touch of Leo, which probably enhances your feminine side.

Having a belief that we're more alike than different... I think that there's a sprinkle of all the stars in all of us.

Now that's just my Scorpion point of view :)

xx Ribbon

Unknown said...

And as the predecessor to Leo.....and the most versatile sign in the horoscope....you lead the wolfpack with your incessant interest in contributing to the fortunes of all others....Jimmy was right when he called you a "great Lady"...Holly............because you certainly are.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

First, I'm relieved to hear Carroll is still with you! Another prayer just went up for him, you and your husband. You painted the lion in fine detail. A masterpiece. My mother is a Leo. My childhood education included astrology (numerology, runes, tarot, palmistry, etc.) The stars are a map of a multitude of things, aren't they? Peace, Holly.

Sara said...

This is a lovely post Holly. My Granny was a Leo and dis have many of those qualities.

Praying still for Carroll.

xx

Barbara said...

Holly, beautiful post. You nailed the description of my Leo son, Brian, who is probably one of the kindest, loyal, humble people I know. Every year, this Leo-ness in him grows as he makes his way in the world, and reading this post only made me more aware of it. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll give him a call!

beth said...

I was born a leo and I'm a leo through and through and proud to wear that mangey coat of fur !!

although I often wonder if I don't have traits that fall into another sign at times....

or do we all do that ?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings