Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fabulous Red

"Yay! I found the perfect color," I gushed holding up the paint chip. "You're kidding, right," he responded with a bit of fear in his eyes. "Absolutely not kidding! Look, it's even called Fabulous Red; I told you I wanted to put Max Factor lipstick red on the walls! At any rate, once everything is in place, it won't be that much red. But oh, this is the color!"

"Yeah, but I guess I didn't know what red looked like..." responded my very brave, but tentative husband while we stood in the home center. Then, "Look, you know I trust you. If that's the color you think we should use, just get it."

He was not the last man with whom I had a similar discussion. I had it with the painters when they popped the tops off the cans and just stared up at me from the floor with a look of surprise on their faces. One actually whispered, "Are you sure? Really sure?" I laughed at that one.

His partner, a wiry guy who looked like a biker said, "I think it's fantastic! Good for you!!" Him, I liked right away.

And, then I had it with the installers when they came in and saw the screaming red walls. When I said, "Look, I promise you when you get the cabinets up and the whole thing in place, you'll think this is one of the best kitchens you ever did."

His response was, "Lady, I just install them; I don't critique them." LOL!!! Best line ever. But, three days later, he stood there looking around and then said, "You were right, this is one of the best kitchens we ever did."

So, I stuck to the theme...and there definitely is a method to the madness. I've always wanted a a black, white, and red kitchen. And, thanks to Michael coupled with my ability to see things finished in my head, I so have my dream kitchen. While I know it's not for everybody, certainly not the faint of heart, I adore this spot. There's never a time when it doesn't make me feel happy or warm and safe.

Equally important, everyone who comes to visit loves being in this room. It's energetic and snappy. People always want to eat dinner at this kitchen table. Or sit and have a cup of coffee and a chat. So, here you go Toni...since you can't visit with me in person, I'm posting it so you can add it to your kitchen collection.

I painted this old table and it turned it pretty well. Again, a project that Michael said, "You want to do what to the edge? Oh, that'll be time consuming but should be cool. Let's go." Love that man!

How did we work without center islands? I use the heck out of this one. And, no, I didn't buy that dog treat jar. A friends sent it to Rory & Fiona for Christmas! How fun is that?

Even the M&Ms are coordinated. Yep...black, white, and red. You don't need money...just give it a crank and you get the prize.

A part of my collection. I love Scottie stuff from the 30s and 40s and that's what I concentrate on. I didn't design the kitchen around my collection, but it turns out the best place to house it. I figure if you're going to collect, you might as well put it in a space where you will see and enjoy it every day.

And the work space is well planned. Trust me, it doesn't have to be expensive to be perfect; that's ceramic bathroom floor tiles I used as my back splash. Easy to install as they come on a webbing- no fiddling with individual tiles. It was really inexpensive and works great as I can just wipe it down to keep it clean!

This is command central. I love cooking with gas! Michael says the dogs call this spot, "The Magic Corner." Fiona is generally under my feet while I'm prepping dinner. I call her my "Shoe Chef."

It's all in the details...so you have to take your time and hunt to find just what you need.

When I was looking for hardware, the first consideration was expense, but it had to add to the over-all look. Since I was going bold and graphic, the hardware adds to the cohesive look. And, they were on sale! Sweet!!!

You already know I am one of those people who has to have everything in its place, so yes, I designed a unit to hold my cookbooks all in one spot. And, the television is always on HGTV or Food Network. But, when Michael's home that gets switched to golf or news. We share well.

And, because I did this post at Toni's request, she asked us to show the inner workings of our kitchens not just the highlights. One that she suggested is the Tupperware and where it resides. So here you go Toni, here's where my containers live. And, no, I didn't straighten them up just before I took the picture!

So, there you have it...a quick tour of the Queen's kitchen...

Feel free to stop by for some coffee and cake. The door is always open to you. And, if any crumbs fall on the floor, don't worry about it...the Shoe Chef will make sure it gets cleaned up.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly

28 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a fabulous, fun kitchen!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Whoo hoo gimme a chair to pull up for some cake and coffee..I'm there! Holly that is an amazing kitchen. I looove the bold and wonderful REDDDDDD - Love love love it!! The Scottie dogs just tie it all together!! You have an eye for design girl!!! Love all of the details! You have inspired me!! Love, Sarah

Eileen said...

Just spectacular ... like you! Love every little detail Holly!

beth said...

did you know that red is THE FOOD color ?
as in, that it makes you want to eat ?
I just learned that recently...

your kitchen is beautiful and so YOU !

I have never had a red room, but my dining room was once painted black with white woodwork and I loved it !

Toni said...

ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK !!!!! I've looked 4 times, slowly, enlarged each picture, wanted to lick each one I swear ... ok, I LOVE LOVE that table you painted, and all the Scotty items but especially those silhouettes (something My Lovely Mother is addicted to and so, now, I always notice). And that square of butcher block with the oils behind it. And the black molding on the white cabinets. And cookbooks with a HOME, where I could actually find them and not have to dig them out from under STUFF. And the floor, the floor! Holly, THIS IS THE FLOOR I want in my studio, have always wanted, love unreservedly ... I further think the kitchen's vibrancy really is a reflection of you -- I felt it in that very first photo you shared with me via email ... I want to morph into a really cute 40's china Scottie dog and come live on your kitchen wall forever. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!

Toni said...

I'm back. I forgot to say that the copper measuring cups on the wall (gawgeous!!!), an exotic shimmer that I love. And the RED TASSEL hanging by your cookbooks -- if I ever allowed it, I would go berserk collecting those thangs. And the backsplash? right on. We have several options under consideration, starting with using aluminum flashing, but bathroom tiles on the web have caught our eye lately, and then I saw some antique tin tiles in an alley and rescued them, thinking those might work once cleaned up and sealed. Not sure there are enough.
And the sconces over your island -- we're also shopping lighting and I've been trying and trying to find a photo -- yours are almost-not-quite it!!

Justine said...

OMG, love the color! It's a beautiful canvas and you've done amazing things with it! I hope when my kitchen grows up it can look half as good as this!

The Peach Tart said...

It's a spectacular color and kitchen.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Holly, You have great taste!!!! Your kitchen is stunning, functional, pulled together and sooooo inviting. It suits you perfectly.

I can only imagine your painter's face when he saw the red, especially since it probably took 10 coats to get the color and lovely and rich as it is.

But it's your attention to detail that speaks the loudest to me when I look at your fab pics. I can see why you, and everyone else loves it so much. Now I just have to figure out a way to enjoy it in person with you.... One of these days.

xo Your Sister in Snark

Sunny said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I love your kitchen, the black and white is fabulous and the red just makes it all pop! Beautiful job!
Sunny :)

Alettesiriane said...

This is a wonderful kitchen,everything is!

jkc said...

Shoe Chef made me laugh out loud...love it!

Kori said...

This is the post that makes me ask....are we related? I love bright and bold...and well RED is my FAV!! I have had so many VERY similiar conversations with my husband and friends....you want to do what? Are you sure about this? YES....TRUST ME!!
LOVE IT!!! Your kitchen is so fabulous!! The colors, furniture, decor...it is all perfect. Congratulations!!!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Fabulous color! Red IS a hard color to pick..sometimes too pink or sometimes too orange. This one is spot on & the decorating is perfection! Warm, inviting & full of energy!

Cindy said...

I know I have seen a picture of your kitchen from before but I have to tell ya again. I love it, the red, the space, all of it. If I ever get in you might have a hard time getting me out. Big Hug.

Suzie said...

Holly, when I saw the first photo, I thought you were showing us a magazine spread of how you would like your dream kitchen to be, but when I started reading your narrative, and saw the personal touches, I quickly realized that this was YOUR kitchen! And I am entralled with it! It is truly awesome!!

And a BIG congrats for sticking to your guns in making the choices that you wanted! I've been that route with contractors and craftsMEN a number of times, the most recent when we were having restoration work done on our Victorian. My daily, sometimes daily or down to minutes, mantra was "They are working for me, they are working for me". I always ask if there is some structural reason why what I want isn't safe, or could cause problems in the future. .if not, then do it my way, please!

The next time we get geared up to do some more work here, I'm having you come and stay! I can use the backup, not to mention your artistic eye, to bounce ideas around with me. My hubs is no help in that department. He admittedly doesn't have an artistic eye, and only can envision something once it is complete and right in front of him. We could have SO much fun!

And now, to bring this full circle. If you haven't already done so, you really should submit your images to a home decorating publication! There are some that are focused on kitchens and baths, or some that spotlight artsy, creative rooms, that reflect the owner's personalities. Just make sure to let us know which one, so we can be on the lookout for it!

Thanks SO much for sharing your kitchen with us! What a fun, fun room!!

joyce said...

OOooooohhhhh, I love it! I love bold colours like that, wouldn't suit my home unless I redid everything...but, maybe one day.....
I like the scotties best although I'm not really a scottie fan. But they're perfectly coloured, even your 2 live ones coordinate with your kitchen. Your tupperware drawer is a far cry from mine, where I toss it in & shut the door quickly before it falls back out. And the m&m's wouldn't last long with me. The whole thing yells out "joie de vivre"

clairedulalune said...

Holly, your kitchen is fantastic! and you have your own shoe chef? Even better!Your kitchen is also immatulate, you put me to shame! Oh, when can i come for a visit?

Marlene said...

BEAUTIFUL! I used to have a red and blk/wht kitchen too! it was always so warm and inviting..now we moved to the beach and I'm in my beach color phase..I am currently remodeling MY kitchen..
so many desicions to make..You did a fantastic job!

xxx said...

I love red and big windows.... awesome combination in my view :)

great post Holly and yes I'll be over soon, so please pop the kettle on. Shall I bring cake?

xx Ribbon

Sara said...

Shoe chef... hehehe

I love your kitchen Holly. Everything... especially the cookbooks. Love cookbooks. I would love to come over sometime for coffee and cake. :)

xx

mel said...

I hope you have a big (red) teapot because I'm on my way over and have a ferocious thirst....

What can I say (I think Toni gushed it best!)..this is one seriously BUTT-KICKINGLY FAB kitchen....I LOVE the colours...

And yes..it's freakin' immaculate too....

~love~

Janet said...

oh my. that is coolness! and all those windows are GREAT! gotta have windows in a kitchen. i have a tv in my kitchen too. couldn't manage without it any more. love the "shoe chef!"

I'm Grace said...

WOW! I love, love, love your kitchen.
Just gorgeous!

Kyddryn said...

Gorgeous, Mizz Holly...and if it pleases you, that's really what counts. So many bold designs begin with the question "Are you sure...?"

Come to think of it, many of life's bold decisions begin that way.

You and my friend Beth would get along swimmingly - her kitchen is black, white, and red too. I made her quilted pot holders to match it one Yule when I was cash poor but fabric rich, tiny little nine-patch blocks made into miniature quilts.

I really want to redo my own kitchen, now...sigh...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

RED IS MY FAVORITE, FAVORITE COLOR! My master bed and bath feature it. You are not just a queen, but a visionary, decorator-goddess. I bow to your wow!! Where do you live, Holly? Come to my house and give me pointers. I'll gladly pay for the help! Truly. WOWWWWWWWWWW! Only error- you did not have a choice for 'love it' in your rating system.

Alison said...

Fabulous fabulous! Red has taken over from blue as my favourite colour (didja notice two English spellings there?! :-)) and your kitchen just bowled me over. Thanks for all the great pictures.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Fabulous kitchen! Ok it's been said before, even by you, but it's the best descriptor for this red and the look you achieved here. LOVE IT. And the stained glass you have in your kitchen IS beautiful. Bravo Holly!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings