Monday, August 24, 2009

Bits & Pieces

I have housework to do today. Other than laundry and odds and pieces that ask for my attention, I need to do some blog 'house work,' and take care of some details like thanking some lovely bloggers. And share things that have come about because of friendships that are being formed via our blogs.

Let's start with that first picture. Those are my new salt and pepper shakers that I got via e-Bay. Aren't they cute?! They're vintage, in great shape, and I'm so very pleased with them. I lost an auction last year on a very similar set. They're not easy to come by and not always in good condition. This set is in terrific shape; just the right amount of predictable wear. What is really a nice bit of synchronicity is that the seller lives in Emmitsburg, Maryland which is where Michael was born and raised. So, perhaps it was meant to be.

Why do I show them here? Well, I wouldn't have these gems if it hadn't been for a follower, Suzie of Cat In The Moon. After enjoying the post about my kitchen, she happened to see a set of these at an antiques show, and looked on eBay to see if she could find something like them to share with me. She most certainly did, sent me the link, and all good wishes that they would come to my kitchen, "As I know they'll feel immediately at home there!"

Here they are, Suzie, what do you think? Thanks for your keen eye and having fun in my kitchen even if it's from afar!

Over the weekend, I was gifted with two awards. This first one was given to me twice. First by Sarah, of Cottage Garden Studio and then seconded by Barb at A Bird In My Hand.

The designer of this award is a woman named Ces. She explains: "I designed this award to celebrate art in the blogs and to honor the value of friendship, sisterhood, sharing and caring. It is to be awarded to the gifted, accomplished, eloquent and talented blogger whose friendship and influence inspire us to do our best. That I named it after Bella Sinclair is because she epitomizes all of these things. She is an inspiration to many of us."

Here's the thing- I don't know Ces and I don't know Bella. But, I'm very happy to be counted among those who are defined by her lovely words. I really don't 'know' Sarah or Barb in real time, at any rate. But, we are becoming friends as I follow their blogs and I am learning about them as individuals and as writers. I'm learning about their trials and celebrations. I am learning that we are all more alike than different. I am learning a great many things from writing and following other blogs.

Sarah & Barb...thank you for thinking so very highly of me and my work here by including me in this award.

And, while I don't always forward these awards on, I do want to share this one with Toni, whose newest blog, The Weight of Me is now a favorite because she's pursuing her writing with the same gusto as she does her visual arts. But, mostly because she feels like my sister. And I love her.

Late last evening, I noted that Beverly of Bunny's Girl gave me this award! Now, to be honest, neither of us follow each of our blogs daily. Beverly and I are fellow wishers in Wishcasting Wednesday. When I go to visit with her each week, I spend some time going back through her writings and I suspect she may do that here. The award is nice, but what she said about me is the true award, " Holly is always so very supportive of all who take part in Wishcasting Wednesday. Thanks for your special thoughts." Thanks, Bev...I really do take a lot of time to help fellow wisher get their wishes!

I'm now supposed to reveal seven bits of stuff about me in accepting this MeMe Award:

1.) I wonder if there's anything new I can tell you that you don't already know because of all I leave here?

2.) There's no veggie I won't eat. I like them all, in various levels of liking...but I can't think of one I won't eat.

3.) Losing weight is hard work. It's work. But, it's work worth doing.

4.) I'm currently blogging through The Artist's Way.

5.) I'm an excellent cook. And, I always like to have people stop by for dinner.

6.) I'm attempting to get back into my water colors.

7.) I'm way too hard on myself.

So there you have it. Seven bits of me.

I owe a thank you to a dog and his mom. I wish I had a picture of what she sent to us, but alas, Rory & Fiona completely enjoyed the home made dog treats that Michelle made for them. And, she even tucked in a wee treat for me; a lavender pillow! My favorite scent! How did you know, Meesh?

Chester is good friends with my two highlanders. And, they spend quite a bit of fun time chatting on Facebook. For my money, it should really be called Dogbook. Rory gets way more action on his page than I do on mine! Of course he has his own page! Doesn't everyone's dog?

Chester is the most delicious chocolate lab. Rory calls him Big Brownie. If you want some dog fun, make sure you visit with him over at his very own blog, For The Love of Chester. Tell him Rory's Mommer sent you.

Okay, now this last shot? What in the world am I doing showing an apron?

Not too long ago, on a trip to take care of some business for Michael's father, I got an email on my phone, which brightened up considerably, what was a stressful visit. And, I need to thank Lisa of Diary of A Not So Glamorous Housewife. She had a give away over at her blog of an apron that she fabricated. She's a great seamstress. And, I love her blog because she's droll, witty, and real.

I was the winner! I'm telling you that, just recently, I was thinking that I really should invest in an apron because I end up with more stuff on my clothes when I'm at the stove. And, Lisa's give away made that possible.

I'm a bit late in thanking everyone. But, truth is, it's never too late to thank someone for a kindness. With that, the timer just buzzed on the washer so I must fly. Hope you all have a smooth and productive week!

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly

13 comments:

The Weight of Me said...

Here's the word that resounded with me: ELOQUENT. Amen. Absolutely. All the way. And 'getting back into the watercolors' -- dear woman, after that loveliness of lemons you sent to me, it's clear you never left. Can we please move the watercolors WAY up on the priority list? Then you can have a blog where you post one watercolor a week, 'k?

the Scottie S&P shakers just make me grin from top to bottom. I never thought of checking Ebay for a lemon set ... I'm off!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Congratulations on the Bella Sinclair award...you are a sister to many who read your blog. I am always provoked to deeper thinking just by stopping by. I chuckled at your Scottie shakers...isn't it wonderful that waiting can have a much deeper meaning to something as simple as shakers? Glad to know a few more things about you! Happy Monday!

Bleeding Heart said...

What a happy post! Thanks for sharing! Great award and well deserved.

Cute shakers and enjoyed the read today :)

beth said...

while I'm thinking of it [after seeing the salt and pepper shakers} there is a new bag out...I think maybe dooney and burke....with scottie dogs on it....it's black and white and red....

have you seen it ?

it might be you :)

Unknown said...

You deserve these and many more for all the smiles, giggles and belly laughs, measured with the occasional ooohs and ahs and watery eyes you give us!

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

Ah...Salt and pepper shakers. So many people collect them...I could never see the point...all those little things to dust and clean. My mother-in-law had a cabinet full and hubby's aunt as a whole room lined with shelves that are packed full of them. The amazing thing is that they are all sparkly clean. It must be a family thing cause hubby will pick up every one he sees at a yard sale and show it to me, thinking I should have them but I don't bite. I will never collect salt and pepper shakers...perhaps have a set of vintage ones...maybe...but that's how it all starts.
Congrats on your awards...you deserve everyone.

I did read your post "On Your Mother's Side"...I just haven't recovered enough to post a comment yet...but I will.
(http://hollydietor.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-your-mothers-side.html)

Cindy said...

Congratulations Holly on all the awards. None more deserving than you. Watercolors, I did not know you paint. I agree with Toni...more. Love the shakers, love your kitchen, love you. Take care.c

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a great set of S/P Shakers - they would look wonderful in our kitchen so if you run across another set on Ebay, please give us a shout.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Congrats on the awards Holly. They definitely fit you! :)

And love the eBay items you procured! They definitely fit your kitchen decor.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Holly, our Queen, CONGRATULATIONS on your well-deserved awards! You truly are at the top of the "inspiring" bloggers list.

And you totally scored with those salt & pepper shakers! Love those.

What's "The Artist's Way', I haven't heard of it before.

Enjoy your housework (ha!) and have a fun day.
xo

Sarah Sullivan said...

Love love love the scottie dof shakers. It's owls for me - lol!!
I adore your kitchen!!
The award..yup you deserved it hon!! Glad ya got two!! The second one - congrats for that too - love your "things"! And a great big YEEEESSSS to getting back to your watercolors!!
Hugs to you hon, Sarah

The Bird's Staff said...

I was so engrossed in Farm Town I missed your blogs, so glad to be back. Kudos to you for being recognized for your wonderful writings. Please post your water colors for all to see!

Suzie said...

Holly! Talk about being behind! I'm so far back, I may catch up by this time next year! lol

I've been enjoying reading some of the entries that I've missed, and lo and behold, came across the photo of your shakers!

Wow! They really do look great! And I'm SO happy that you got them!

And yes! I think that you should be picking up that water color brush again! There is something so Zen-like, painting with watercolors, and I'd love to see some of your work!!

Many Hugs & Blessings,
Suzie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings