Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Friends Garden

Our house is very deep and the side space between the houses lends itself to being turned into the wonderful French gardening concept of an alley... a long narrow space filled with plants or trees to pull the eye forward. To make the feet desire to move along and visit with the plants.

I decided to develop this space into my Friends Garden. It's the space where all my friends and other gardeners have brought plants from their gardens to share. I love this space. When I look at this plant I think immediately of her. When that one blooms I think of him! It's wonderful. It's also the space where I lovingly transplanted some of the treasures I brought from my beloved gardens at my home in Maryland. Or replicated some of my favorite choices. My neighbors comment on it quite often as being interesting and lovely.

The few warm days of complete sun have pushed my gardens into the next phase of delight. The roses didn't fair well. And, the pansies are all gone. But, the daylilies are in their glory. As I walk around and clap with delight, I share them immediately in my thoughts with friend, Eileen, who was my first neighbor when moving to Greensburg.

Eileen loves daylilies and hosta. She and I spent lots of time walking her gardens and sharing stories and tips as only two gardeners do when they get together. Knowing how sad I was when I left most of my treasures back in Maryland, she was one of my first friends to stop by bringing all sorts of green gifts to share. Hosta and daylilies carefully labeled- all the ones you'll see today. Eileen is a big presence in my Friends Garden.

For the past couple of years, Eileen has decided to try her hand at hybridizing lilies. It's not hard to do, per se, but it takes patience. And a lot of trial and error. This year, after three years of trying, she's beginning to see some of the outcome of her efforts and she's very excited. I can certainly understand and I'm pleased for her.

So, what great gardener would be where they are without their assistants? Fiona sat on alert while I photographed and picked and dead headed. She couldn't find a trophy vole or chipmunk to bring me, so she decided to simply sit and watch. Good girl, Fi...

While my silly boy-dog decided to watch me and look at some of his favorite flowers. He likes to poke at the lavender...I really think he must be sniffing some of the plants as he goes to the same ones regularly. Rory is very interesting. Much more serene and contemplative than his bossy sister.

Here's the first daylily vision that made me say, "Oh!" Of all of the ones that Eileen has given me, this one seems to be the most reluctant, but what a beauty! This is Christmas Eve.

And strolling further... I love the compliment of the dark throat with the quiet exterior on this lily.

This lovely is called, Brocaded Gown, and it may just be the most aptly named lily in my garden. I love the ruffled edge and the puckers. It does look like fabric, and when the light hits it just right, it seems to glow.

If you love the refreshing color of pink, then this is a beauty you want in your garden....

I adore how all the plants and colors seem to play so nicely with each other. Each one its own note in my garden symphony.

This little lovely is actually a spider wart. And, while not a daylily, it is in the lily family. When I saw these tiny gems, well, I had to include them in this show for you today.

And, this last one? I don't have it in my garden yet. Eileen sent a card with this beauty on it; she knows how much I adore all shades of purple. It's one that she's been working on for three years and this year it bloomed. Isn't it gorgeous? I am so happy for her! And, if I am lucky, one day I may have it in the Friends Garden. It's not ready to be shared, yet. So for now, I'll just have to live with this gift...

...yesterday, Eileen called to tell me that she's decided to name this glorious new lily of hers, "Holly," after her gardening buddy. How lucky am I to have made a friend like that? Thank you, Eileen. Really. What an honor!

I hope all of you have moments of recognition and deepening friendships this summer.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly aka Eileen's Friend

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful and the flowers, glorious! Since we just moved here in late February, we had no idea what kinds of plants and flowers were already here. It has been just a delight since spring, seeing all the different things come to life, just one surprise after another. We have plans to add more of our own favorites next year.

Eileen said...

Glorious, one & all! Aren't "Eileens" nice friends to have? No wonder you're collecting them too!

Toni said...

yowza. such delight for ME since I kill everything ... I'd rather have an alley of friends and have a doggie for each friend! woot! (gawd I'm brilliant) ...

lovely photos -- see how good you are?

I'm still LOVE!ING!IT! that was have the same birthday ...

Toni said...

loving it that WE have the same birthday, I mean ... eesh ...

I need some coffee, clearly.

Line from a Spotted Wolf tune I just listened to that is searing my brain: 'if I die before I wake, then I don't want to die agraid' ...

Toni said...

AFRAID!!! AFRAID!!!

I need to step AWAY from my keyboard, too ... double eesh.

beth said...

I want to come and sit in your "friends garden"...I'll even bring somehing to add !

and man...your flower photos just keep better and better :)

ps...I think toni has had enough coffee !!

mel said...

If you were to hear a knock on your window pane just now...do you hear it? Well, don't get up...just close your eyes - are they closed?

...then imagine that it's me, standing in my best wellies, with an armload of lemon balm and peppermint and sage and vervain, all ready to plant and just when you think you won't have enough room in your garden..look behind me and marvel at the wheelbarrow that's brimming with honeysuckle and a lovely witch hazel...think we can find a place for them?

....one day, Dearest One....one day...

~much love and gardeny blessings~

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A "Friends Garden" -- what a wonderful, beautiful idea!

Lisa said...

Oh so beautiful, and not just the pictures, but the very idea of a "friends' garden" and your relationship with Eileen.

(Toni is hilarious - she has had too much coffee - gotta go check out her blog, she's a wild woman)

Sarah Sullivan said...

LOL Holly..your right - great minds yes!! I love the lillies, they remind me of our farm in TN. Good memories there!! I looove green gifts too!
Yeah, am not thrilled to be sick, but am trying to make the most of the "forced" down time!! Thanks for the gentle pats and the Reiki!!
Huge hugs, Sarah
Off to find you on Facebook..

Jan said...

A Friends Garden is such a lovely concept, Holly! And your lilies are quite beautiful.

I'm sure you get many hours of enjoyment working in and relaxing near your wonderful garden.

Thanks so much for sharing.

joyce said...

What a lovely concept!! But I have to comment on the "spider wart"...what's that about a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet......what does that say about the spider wart??

And, dear Holly, thank-you so much for honouring my request for the postcard!

Cindy said...

WOW,,,,I am so jealous of your yard holly girl....I am loving the friend garden and a flower named after you...you are rockin....and I LOVE your flashing logo on your site. My god you are just a busy one. have a great day....i hope you are in your yard....Wow...cinner

Cam said...

What a magical explosion of color that awaits you outside your door!

If you're still picturing Mel outside your window, picture Cam right behind her!

Great fun, wouldn't it be?

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Oh such GREAT pictures and your four legged gardening buddies are adorable! I never used to like day lilies until I got older. I now love them for there ease of care and there beautiful blooms. Isn't it funny how we change out tastes over the years? Congrats on the naming of the flower!!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I love gardens!!!
Thanks...

Life With Dogs said...

What a great gardening concept! If I had any friends I'd be sure to copy your idea. And a flower named after you? All this time I thought it was a shrub that bore your name. ;)

Miss Robyn said...

what a fantastic idea! if I lived near, I would certainly give you some cuttings from my garden! xo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings