Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Aspirin, Anyone?


I woke at around 3 AM. Thought initially, it was because Rory & Fiona were plastered against me for warmth pinning me in place. But, that wasn't it. While it is true that they were glued to me, for a change they were laying parallel to me, so I can't blame them.

No, it was the familiar pain that runs just behind my right ear and down my neck. I have another weather headache. Bummer. It's still there now. So, I'm not thinking all that clearly. Which might be a good thing. For certain, it'll cause today's entry to be short.

I started with these headaches in my late 30's. They're pretty accurate in forecasting that the weather is going to shift. I get them when the weather is turning foul, which might be understandable. However, I also get them when the weather is going to turn fair. A change is, after all, a change isn't it?

Some changes we look forward to; some we dread. Interesting, if you use my head as an illustration, (god help us,) the same amount of discomfort is involved for change of both kinds. Yet, one type we don't seem to mind.

If change of any sort involves the same amount of effort, why does one happen with more fluid ease while another takes major sweat? I'm thinking, like most things it's about me, not the circumstances. It has to be my outlook, how I view the change; not the facts of the situation.

So, unable to change the facts...what is within my power is manipulating my view of the situation. Like, my ability to pop some Excedrin to manage this headache.

One of my favorite quotes is from Gordon W. Livingston: Happiness is not simply the absence of despair. It is an affirmative state in which our lives have both meaning and pleasure.

As that relates to change, I think it means that I can still find a position of contentment and meaning about my life, but not by attempting to minimize change. That can't happen. It's more about facing it and being curious about its potential, instead of fretting about it. Regardless of the circumstances, I have the power to see it from the affirmative state. I get to choose.

Like my headaches. Yes, they cause me pain. But, if I didn't have one, I couldn't tell you to get your umbrella ready to use later today. So, it's all good.

I'm on my way to find that Excedrin. And if change comes at you today, smile at the good ones. Remain open and curious about the ones that offer challenges.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly

1 comment:

Toni said...

I love change. As long as I have some aspect, somewhere in the day, that is 'routine', for balance, you know? There's a line from a movie (I think it was Bridges of Madison County), and I'm paraphrasing badly here, but the main male character says that change is actually something you can rely on, it IS the biggest variable in 'routine', so that really makes it more friendly. He said it WAY more philosophically and succinctly than I just did, but it grabbed my attention and I've never forgotten it.

Go 'poor' your head, my dear ... try this (go ahead and laugh, but it sometimes works on my migraines) -- tiger balm or one of those sports pain balms or even Vicks on the bottom of your feet, then socks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings