Tuesday, March 7, 2017

If I Could Do My Home Over

The father of the Arts & Crafts Movement, William Morris, had a golden rule about living in and decorating a home:

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." Through the course of my various homes, that's what I've attempted.  Living close to Frank Lloyd Wright's, Falling Water and visiting it rekindled my interest and love of this very influential movement.

If I had to do it all again, I'd search for the perfect bungalow.  One with great bones.


A home with a welcoming front porch and painted to blend with its natural surroundings.


A sweet space that makes you want to stop and stay awhile.


And an interior full of honey colored wood with bright pops of paint.


With a fire place or two large and commanding.  One that can warm you from head to toe.


I'd have a Craftsman home that tickles the senses with lots of built-in useful spaces inviting you to rest and renew.

With great attention to detail where no surface is considered to mundane for artistic touches.


And where all parts of a home are useful and ingeniously fashioned. No space is wasted.


A home with tiny spaces that charm and sooth.  A home with an inglenook or two...


And my windows are interesting and allow the home to be flooded with natural light. Light that touches the oak and turns it to honey.


And my bungalow would have stained glass accents; art for the common man and not just the wealthy.



A home where textiles delight with the fanciful colors rich and drawn from nature.


A Craftsman home where a kitchen invites one to create and share.


And, while I might not want the bathroom to go back to the early 1900s, there is something charming about the rustic simplicity of it all.


If I had to do it all again, I'd live in a Craftsman Home with arts & crafts of artisans close at hand to remind me that Human Beings are so very creative and where you'd feel safe and loved when you sat here with me.


I'd live in a home where you feel special and unique and where it seems possible to have days of ordinary miracles all around you.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly aka She Who Always Has An Open Door

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Absolutely love every inch of it .... she very welcoming always have loved the Craftsman style. Thanks for sharing its uniqueness

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings