Tuesday, December 16, 2008

San Antonio Awaits


Yesterday, I shared how I'm feeling about Evan's departure. And, that's not changed too much since. Except, this morning, I'm more convinced that this is absolutely the right thing. I'm at peace with it all. I'm only human, though, and I feel a void.

When I got home in the afternoon, as I was tearing up because the house seemed too quiet, the dogs suddenly galloped upstairs. Watching them, for just a second, I thought or hoped I might hear his usual greeting, "Hey. Whaz up?" They say that dogs can't reason; I'd debate that. I know the pups are looking for Evan, trying to figure it out. It'll take a little time till they stop hunting him. But, they'll never stop being on the look-out for his return to our pack.

Boy-chic was hoping that he'd get an indicator of the rightness of his choice. Yesterday it was close to 70 degrees here. Today, there's a fresh blanket of snow making things look like a Christmas card. Considering he hates the cold and he's winging his way from Western PA to the warmth and sun of San Antonio later today, I'd say he got his wish.

Life is about the here and the 'what nexts', and we aren't always lucky enough to easily sense the comparisons between our choices. I'm glad that today, which I know is causing understandably nervous jitters, Evan gets to see the differences in his current life from what he'll be experiencing starting by the end of the day. To quote the old standard, "What A Difference A Day Makes!"

We know his next two months in basic training won't be a holiday or fun. But, absolutely worth his effort. An opportunity to take the measure of his character. More to the point, it will be worthy of his talents. They'll deny it while he's in basic, but the Air Force will definitely be better for having Evan on their team. We all know that it's not easy to answer a call. In this case, we'll all be better every day he serves because he had the courage to say, "Yes!"

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings