Thursday, October 20, 2011

Summer Yields Her Last

That's the last of it. The garden has been put to bed and this is all that is left. It's pretty, the shapes and textures. I suppose I'll have to see if I can successfully fry the green tomatoes.

My neighbor, Cindy, and I did not have a lot of luck with our garden this year. The cucumber vines and the squash plants turned brown and stopped producing. They went very early. The tomatoes produced fruit that split quickly and damaged. And not near as much yield this year. Even the cherry tomatoes were stingy this year.

The second planting of green beans did produce a heavenly small yield of sweet and tender bits of green heaven, but the peas and snap peas hardly posted at all this year.

Always the one to think I've done something wrong, I really fretted over my green thumb turned black, but I heard from other 'farmers' that their back yard plots didn't fair much better. So that's left me wondering what may be going on. I'd appreciate any insights you can share.

How did your garden grow, Mary Mary Quite Contrary? Mine, no so good. How about yours?

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly aka Farmer Dietor

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I lost my love for gardening years ago....if I ever had it. Kudos to your for keeping at it!

clairedulalune said...

Hello, hello, hello Holly!!! well, I long to have green fingers but we have been on a list for an allotment for coming to to three years! Lol! But I love the enchantment of seeing life come from the wee seed we have planted! If I find any tips, I will send them to you! Lovely to hear from you Holly, I hope all is well!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I WISH I had a garden. I've begged my husband to fill in the pool and plant a garden but he's not having any of it :-)

Sorry you and Cathy didn't have a great crop this year. I remember the two of you sharing the responsibilities of the garden in the past and loved the idea. I'm not sure what happen to your green thumb but if your summer was anything like my family's summer in Ohio, it was a pretty miserable one weather-wise. Fingers crossed for next year.

xo jj

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings