Sunday, June 2, 2013

Silent Sermon Sunday

"Yahweh, the God of Israel, there is no God like you..."
~ 1 Kings 8:23

Again, I'll break with the Silent Sermon tradition to add a few words.  This picture is one I took while sitting in the corner of the White Synagogue  in Capernaum, the town on the northern shore of the Galilee, the home of Jesus and Simon Peter, Andrew, and Matthew. 

The sun was glaring and the day desert hot.  I listened from the small corner of shade to our guide explain that we were standing in a synagogue that was built in 4th Century A.D.  Imagine!!!!  Sitting in the shade of a spot so old.  And yet, this White Synagogue was built on the exact spot of the Synagogue that was there in the time of Jesus.  The place of worship for the Son of Man.  Once again, my mind reeled trying to take in the ancientness of this part of the world.  All I could do was shake my head as I attempted to breathe it in and be grateful for the opportunity to be in such a place.  I felt as if I had been there before, a feeling I experienced several times throughout our pilgrimage.

As I listened to the murmur of people and the words of our guide, felt the deep heat and shaded myself in a small corner against the glare, I casually snapped a picture over my head of the few standing columns...these are nearest to the the alter and where the Torah would have been housed.  And when I looked at the picture, the remarkable streaks of light were there, magickally confirming that I sat, a small spec of humanity, in a very holy place.  A place that has held and witnessed the prayers, wishes, secret longings and thoughts of countless people.

This world of ours...this amazingly complex, ancient world of ours.  It is harsh and difficult.  Mean and cruel.  And yet, there are rare moments of grace when you realize how blessed you are to be a part of it all.  A day like one spent in Capernaum, where The Christ lived and worked along side his friends.  And went to Synagogue to talk with his God.

May your week give you a moment of Grace.

Namaste' Till Next Time,
Holly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Holly... How magical is it to create opportunities to be in the world beyond our own backyards.
Life is truly beautiful most of the time when we are open to that x

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh Holly, what a beautiful post and a wonderful experience. I can just imagine your face when you saw the beautiful sun shine through in your photos.

Israel is an amazing place. I'll be watching for for more of your trip.

Glad you are home safe and sound. Love you. xo jj

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Previous Musings